Having just returned from nearly conquering the Bermuda Triangle, Stephen Colbert has now agreed to take on Major League Baseball. On Thursday, MLB’s Twitter account, @MLB, challenged The Colbert Report host to “Beat the Streak” asking:
“Is @StephenAtHome up to the Beat the Streak challenge? Does he like fun? If he wins, the keys to @MLB are his for 24 hours #BTS challenge.”
Thems are fighting words!
According to mlb.com, the proposal was as such: over the course of three days from June 13-15, both Colbert’s twitter account (AKA Stephen Colbert) and @MLB will each choose three major league players – one chosen per day.
If Colbert’s players get a hit each day (a hit in each game would constitute a streak – hence the name Beat the Streak) and @MLB’s players don’t then Colbert wins. If Satan gets involved, curses the contest and causes @MLB’s players to hit for a streak while Colbert’s players don’t, then @MLB wins.
However, if both sets of players hit for a streak, I would assume that the set with the most hits wins. I don’t know for sure though. Or maybe the Apocalypse happens? Not sure. We’ll see.
Anyhow, Colbert accepted tweeting, “@MLB challenged me to Beat The Streak. If I win, I get control of their Twitter for 24 hrs! I ACCEPT! My first pick 6/13!”
GAME ON!!! And as mlb.com explains, “If Colbert can out-pick @MLB, he has a direct line to over 1.2 million baseball fans for all of his political rants, anti-bear propaganda and presidential campaign announcements.”
Dear Cubs fans, don’t take it personally.
- Comedian Stephen Colbert Accepts MLB Beat the Streak Challenge (bleacherreport.com)
- Colbert accepts Beat the Streak challenge (mlb.mlb.com)
- MLB Realignment, Stephen Colbert, Derek Jeter and All the Latest MLB News (bleacherreport.com)
- Stephen Colbert Isn’t Buying Andrew Breitbart’s ‘I Was Duped’ Excuse [Video] (gawker.com)
- Colbert and Spirit of Juno Arrive in Bermuda (VIDEOS) (restoringtruthiness.org)
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Andrew Breitbart’s Explanation Of How The Weiner Pic Leaked (mediaite.com)
- Stephen Colbert Pokes Fun at Andrew Breitbart’s Role in ‘Weinergate’ (VIDEO) (aoltv.com)
- Baby Disgusted at Stephen Colbert and Spirit of Juno for Second Place Finish in Charleston Bermuda Race (restoringtruthiness.org)
- Dark Green Religion and Stephen Colbert’s Quest for a New Faith – Huffington Post (blog) (restoringtruthiness.org)
- Stephen Colbert in Charleston Bermuda Race (restoringtruthiness.org)