The same day that Jon Stewart and Bill O’Reilly went toe to cloven hoof over the Obama Administration’s White House invitation to rapper Common, Darryl W. Jackson, who served in the Bush Administration as an assistant secretary of commerce from 2005 to 2009 chimed in with his two cents. Luckily for us, the value of American currency is on the decline since his argument was basically a regurgitation of Fox News’ rhetoric. However, he did include one doozy worth noting.
Included in Common’s body of work are passages that can be interpreted as the glorification of a fugitive who was convicted of killing a police officer years ago. These were not fleeting or extemporaneous comments by Common; rather, they were carefully composed and recorded by him.
When Sarah Palin says, “Don’t retreat, reload,” the left pounces and accuses her of inciting violence. But when it comes to Common and his questionable treatment of a real-life situation, we are urged to appreciate the deeper aspects of poetry.
It is true; there are “passages that CAN BE interpreted as the glorification of a fugitive who was convicted of killing a police officer years ago.” They CAN BE interpreted as glorification, but if you did interpret them that way, you got it wrong. Period. You need to go back to Remedial Rap 101.
However, Mr. Jackson gets off track arguing his point about Sarah Palin and the left’s outrage about her “Retreat/Reload” tweet. If you believe the left is ridiculous for making such a big deal about a tweet and a map of targets surveyor’s symbols, that’s fine, duly noted. But just remember this: in regards to Sarah Palin the left is not squabbling over an invitation to the White House; they are squabbling over her potentially running the White House with her rhetoric in mind.
Additionally, if the Administration ever invited Mrs. Palin to the White House for whatever reason, it’s all but guaranteed that the left would more likely accuse Obama of being a sellout before they would ever give a rip about a tweet from a twit.
- Common Goes To The White House: In Which Okayplayer Hater Sarah Palin Gets A-Moralizing (blogs.villagevoice.com)
- Sarah Palin & Fox News Criticize Michelle Obama for Inviting Common to White House (binsidetv.net)
- Common & Sarah Palin Feud Over White House Poetry Reading [Dirt Bag (After Dark)] (jezebel.com)
- Sarah Palin Lashes Out At The Obama’s For Inviting Rapper Common To The White House (sweetspill.com)
- Fox News And Sarah Palin Outraged By Common’s White House Invite (perezhilton.com)
- Sarah Palin, Common, and the White House have a tussle This week… (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- Feud Alert! Sarah Palin, Fox News, Rapper Common And White House Ready To Brawl? (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Feud Alert! Sarah Palin, Fox News, Rapper Common And White House Ready To Brawl? (mediaite.com)
- Common Performs Poem For White House [Video] (sweetspill.com)
- Sarah Palin: ‘Just too easy’ to criticize Common’s White House appearance (kaystreet.wordpress.com)